Lytham Assembly Rooms is an impressive building. It’s on Lytham seafront with a glorious frontage onto Dicconson Terrace. The corner plot it stands on also adjoins the promenade at Central Beach, not far from the windmill.
Surrounded by well kept gardens and beds it’s a lovely spot where people sit on the benches and enjoy the sunshine while watching the world pass by.
Lytham Assembly Rooms Today
Today the building houses community rooms, meeting spaces and offices.
Lytham Town Trust manage the Assembly Rooms. The two beautiful rooms in the building can be hired out for functions between 9am and 10pm at very competitive rates. They can be used for any kind of private party or community event/meeting, with space for up to 100 people.
History of Lytham Assembly Rooms
This period building offers a glimpse into past times gone by.
The Assembly Rooms was originally built in 1862 as a Baths, Theatre and Assembly Rooms. It’s role was to provide salt water bathing and indoor entertainment to the growing seaside town of Lytham.
However, the original business wasn’t quite successful enough and so it was taken over by the Clifton Estate.
We were a little puzzled about the Roman numerals over the front door. The number there (seen in our photos) is MCMXXVII, is that not 1927?
Many thanks to local historian Nick Moore answered the question. He tells us that it’s the date when the new baths were opened.
The original baths were demolished in 1926 and rebuilt by Lytham St Annes Corporation. The new Lytham Baths had the Assembly Rooms and Yacht Club incorporated, in the new design on Dicconson Terrace. It opened on the 9th of June 1928 by Sir William Milligan with the entrance re-sited onto Dicconson Terrace.
The new baths were once more filled with filtered sea water. They also boasted a sprung-floored ballroom-cum-concert room which could hold up to 350 people, the “Little Theatre”, and a café.
There was a grand Entrance Hall, A Cooling Room and Plombiere, an Ultra-Violet Ray cubicle, a Radiant Heat cubicle, and a Vichy Douche. Plus a Brine Bath, Turkish and Russian Baths, 12 Slipper Baths, and a main plunge pool, which was 75 feet by 31 feet. The main pool was 6 feet 6 inches at the deep end, and 3 feet 3 inches at the shallow end. The capacity of the Bath was about 71,000 gallons, maintained at a uniform temperature. There was dressing accommodation for 60 Bathers in 19 fixed cubicles.
Thanks also to Peter Berry. He also got in touch to tell us it was the date when they reopened, after being rebuilt by Lytham St Annes Corporation.
The Assembly Rooms
In 1987 when Lytham Baths was closed, the current Assembly Rooms were created. The majority of the building being made into private apartments.
The attractive frontage was retained when the rest of the baths were demolished in 1990.
Fylde Council arranged for the rooms fronting onto Dicconson Terrace to be retained for the use of the people of the Fylde. The upper floor is let commercially and those offices provide income to support the public rooms. The building now contains flats, assembly rooms, offices and Lytham Yacht Club.
Managed by Lytham Town Trust
Lytham Town Trust began because of the changes at this much loved building. The Trust was granted a lease by Fylde Council and took over management of the Rooms on 1 January 1991.
Recently one of the rooms that was available for hire to the public is now housing the Lytham Library after the closure of the Library on Clifton Street.
Anything to Add?
Do you know anything else? As usual full credit will be given. Please email jane@theRabbitPatch.co.uk
While you’re here…
Have a look at the homepage of the Visit Lytham website for more of the latest updates.
Love the Fylde Coast? Sign up for your weekly email newsletter. Packed full of interesting things it arrives in your inbox all 52 weeks of the year.
Join us on Facebook at our Visit Fylde Coast Facebook Group
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @visitFyldeCoast