Lytham in Bloom look after Clifton Square at the heart of the town centre

Lytham In Bloom

Lytham in Bloom Trust formed in 1998 with a small group of interested local residents who wanted to help make Lytham a better place in which to live. It’s the group which makes Lytham burst into flower!

Over the years it’s become a respected advocate for the town of Lytham. The group works alongside Fylde Borough Council, generating income through fundraising, sponsorship, donations and grants. The funds are used to complete projects, purchase plants, trees, benches and support other local initiatives.

Keeping Going through a Pandemic

The Covid-19 pandemic seriously curtailed volunteering in Lytham in 2020. As it did across the UK and indeed the world.

However, the volunteers of Lytham In Bloom still managed to make the town look lovely, despite the restrictions.

Planters, flowers and displays still adorned local streets, bringing much needed summer cheer to the town.

Lytham Memorial Garden at the heart of the town centre
Lytham Memorial Garden at the heart of the town centre
Clifton Square at the heart of the town centre
Clifton Square at the heart of the town centre

In 2021, Fylde Council is allocating £26,500 to community groups across Fylde to invest in planting, parks and green spaces. Local Britain in Bloom groups will get the cash. They’re the long-term custodians of incredible efforts which see the borough’s towns and villages blossom each year.

The money is from the Government’s ‘Welcome Back Fund. The aim of the fund is to help local authorities create and promote a safe and welcoming environment for local trade and tourism.

Lytham in Bloom win Gold in 2018

Very well done to Lythams army of gardening volunteers. They won gold in the ‘small coastal resort’ category of the national Britain in Bloom competition.

Lytham in Bloom Team, Winners in 2015

These Royal Horticultural Society awards were presented in Sunderland. This heat saw Lytham compete against North Berwick; Dartmouth; St Brelade, Jersey; St Pierre du Bois, Guernsey; and Whitby.

Jim Leak, Lytham In Bloom chairman, said: ‘Dozens of helpers and hundreds of supporters have worked tirelessly. Lytham has looked superb all spring, summer and autumn.

‘Someone said Fylde is now Britain’s In Bloom borough and I have to agree. Lytham’s fantastic committee has led the way but the whole of Fylde has been looking better and better each year.

‘The Lytham committee could not have done it without help from Axa, Fylde Council, Kirkham prison and hundreds of other volunteers. This award is recognition for all of them.

‘The judges were looking for more than just flower beds and hanging baskets. They also looked at allotments, parks, involvement by the community, street cleaning, recycling and general environmental quality.

“We’ll be going all out in next year’s Champion of Champions section which will pit us against winning towns in other categories. The judges told us that the Lytham In Bloom template is a good one. We just have to work harder than ever and I’m sure we’ll be doing that.’

Read More

Join Lytham in Bloom on Facebook

Follow Lytham in Bloom on Twitter @Lytham_in_Bloom

Lytham in Bloom website

More About Lytham in Bloom

Here are just some of the projects which Lytham In Bloom has completed over the years:

• Refurbishment of the Memorial/Cenotaph Gardens,
  • Library Gardens,
  • St Cuthberts Cross,
  • The Triangle,
  • all the shelters on Lytham sea front
  • and many more…
Memorial Gardens in Lytham town centre
Memorial Gardens in Lytham town centre

On going projects include:-

• The repointing of Clifton Square (Piazza) in conjunction with Lancashire County Council
  • Lytham Railway Station
  • Repainting fencing around the Cenotaph Gardens
  • Repainting all the public seating and flower planters by teams from Kirkham Open Prison with stain, brushes etc paid for by Fylde Borough Council.

The aim of Lytham In Bloom is to make Lytham a better place for both residents and visitors.

Award Winning

The hard work of Lytham in Bloom is regularly rewarded with RHS awards. These are some of them:

• Gold award winners 2010 and 2012.
  • Lytham won the top award of five blooms in the International Communities in Bloom held in Quebec Canada in 2011.
  • Entered into the the special award group ‘Champion of Champions’ in 2013. One of only five towns in the whole of the UK chosen to take part.
  • Lytham also won the Gold award from North West in Bloom for nine consecutive years.

Press TV and radio, local, regional and national, cover the Champion of Champions competition, putting the spotlight on Lytham!

The Lytham in Bloom windmill at Clifton Square
The Lytham in Bloom windmill at Clifton Square

A very big well done to all the members of the Lytham in Bloom team. They create such a fantastic display that transforms Lytham town centre each year with flowers. And thanks also go to all their helpers and supporters from local organisations and businesses.

While you’re here…

Have a look at the Visit Lytham website homepage for more of the latest updates.

Love the Fylde Coast? Sign up for your weekly email newsletter. Packed full of interesting things, it arrives in your inbox all 52 weeks of the year.

Join us on Facebook at our Visit Fylde Coast Facebook Group

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @visitFyldeCoast

What do you think, leave a comment below

Share on

2 thoughts on “Lytham In Bloom”

1. Good afternoon,

I hope you are well, my name is Jonas and I work for the YMCA, basically my role is to try get people in the community of Fylde & Wyre involved in sport and promote what opportunities are around in the area.

Having spoken with several staff and friends throughout Fylde whilst being active on social media I am aware of the great work you and your colleagues do around the Fylde and surrounding areas.

I wanted to make you aware of a one of event on Saturday the 25th of August from ParkView in Lytham which we are running where you can showcase the great work you do.

The main event will run from 10.00 – 16.00 and we have access to the majority of the park and and eco pod, we are expecting a large number of families attending this event (weather depending) we will be running free sporting events for anyone and everyone with all profits going to ParkView.

Would this event be of interest for you in promoting the work you do and how people can get involved?

Please feel free to bring nay banners/leaflets down to showcase the work you do if you wish to attend.

I look forward to hearing from you.

1. Hi Jonas – thanks for your comment but you need to contact the Lytham in Bloom team directly. Good luck with your event!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Recent

Lytham in Bloom look after Clifton Square at the heart of the town centre

Lytham In Bloom

Lytham in Bloom Trust makes Lytham a better place in which to live. It's the …

Recent Updates from Local Businesses

Scroll to Top